Mar 6, 2021
Scripture Reading: Jeremiah 3: 6 – 22
Memory Verse: Hebrews 3: 12
Objective: To develop an understanding of the danger in backsliding.
1. How does God regard backsliding and to what is it likened? Jeremiah 2: 19, 3: 20 & Hebrews 10: 38
2. What leads one to backslide? Hebrews 3: 12
3. What warning comes to us in regards to the treatment of backsliders? 1 Corinthians 5: 9 – 13
Note: Paul makes it clear that we are not to keep company with backsliders. Paul, like any other true believer, encourages backsliders to return, but he also expects us to show a difference. Backsliders should not be made to feel that all is well when they are among us. They should be constantly reminded of Christ sacrifice on Calvary that will lead them to repentance while in our presence. We must use every opportunity to encourage them to return to God while mercy is still extended.
4. State the impact Christ’s plain teachings had on some of His followers. John 6: 53- 66
5. To regain God’s favour, what must backsliders do? Jeremiah 3: 12-13
6. When backsliders repent, what does God do? Hosea 14: 2 – 4
Note: Let us not try to assist God. God says He will abundantly pardon when backsliders change their ways. He also warns us to entreat them, but not to ‘hand and glove’ them as if God has no right to speak hard things about them.