The Origin of The Lord’s Supper
Apr 9, 2022
Subject: The Origin of The Lord’s Supper
Scripture Reading: Luke 22: 1 - 22
Memory Verses: John 13: 14 - 16
Objective: To highlight the reason to partake of the Lord’s Supper.
Introduction:Matthew, Mark, and Luke reported that as the time of the annual observance of the Passover approached, Jesus instructed Peter and John to make the necessary preparations for Him and the twelve disciples to eat together. That evening, as Jesus and the disciples were reclining around the table, eating what would be their last Passover meal together, Jesus did something different — something that was to be practised by His followers for all time as a memorial of His death.
1. While Jesus and His disciples gathered to partake of the annual Passover meal, what new thing did he institute? Luke 22: 19, Matthew 26: 26 – 28; and what was its meaning? Luke 22: 20, Matthew 26: 26
2. Unlike the Passover and the rituals associated with it, what does the death and memorial of Christ signify? Hebrews 9: 11 - 15; 10: 11 - 12; 1 Peter 1: 18 - 19
3. How did Paul emphasize the significance of the Lord’s Supper? 1 Corinthians 11: 23 - 26; and who should partake of the Lord’s Supper? 1 Corinthians 11: 27 - 29
4. What important truth should fascinate all believers in regards to partaking of the Lord’s Supper? John 6: 53 - 54
5. In addition to the bread and fruit of the vine, what important event accompanied this service? John 13: 4 - 5; and what was its significance? John 13: 12 – 15
Conclusion: The Lord’s Supper is a serious event that should not be taken lightly. It signifies the death of Christ for humanity, granting the Gentile nation access to his coming Kingdom. We are now called to live before, during and after this period as to assure us eternal life. Let us with confidence draw nigh to the table in preparation for the greater meal in the kingdom of God (Luke 22: 18).