The Purpose of Suffering
May 21, 2022
Subject: The Purpose of Suffering
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 53
Memory Verse: 1 Peter 4: 1
Objective:To highlight the fact that it’s our trials that shape our character.
1. How was Christ’s suffering seen through the eyes of men? Isaiah 53: 1 - 9
2. In contrast, why was He subjected to such grief? Isaiah 53: 10 - 11
3. What type of suffering is considered commendable, and which is not? 1 Peter 2: 19 - 21; 1 Peter 4: 12 - 19
4. Through suffering, the child of God builds godly character. He learns patience, endurance, trust, and hope. How does Romans 8: 15 - 21 make this clear?
5. The suffering endured by those before us were as real as ours are today. How can their testimonies help us to endure ours? Romans 8: 31 - 39
6. The pathway to the Kingdom is paved with God’s disciplinary measures. How does Hebrews 12: 3 – 11 explain this?
Note: We have enough witnesses in scripture to help us to accept our suffering as confidence builders. God gets our attention through suffering. He builds and increases our faith so we may glorify him. It is our trials that bring us close to Jesus.